The town of Greenville has a beautiful new pavilion at Vanderbilt Park, thanks to the efforts of GNH Lumber.
A family-owned business and staple of the Greene County business community, GNH Lumber has been providing contractors and homeowners with top-quality building materials and expert advice since 1937. Over the years, GNH Lumber has given back to the community in a variety of ways including its Tools for Tomorrow Scholarship Program and donating materials for the West Kill Lexington Community Hall and for a stall at Unbridled Thoroughbred Foundation. The Ingalls Family Pavilion at Vanderbilt Park is yet another example of the company’s community-mindedness.
GNH provided the materials for the 40 x 80 square foot pavilion with attached restrooms. Local contractors including Mulholland Builders, Chris Jones, Pearson Excavation, Vaughn Construction, KB Enterprises, Fritz Construction, Stephen Jones, and Parmiter & Co. donated their time. Greenville Scouts Troop 42 constructed a dozen picnic tables for the new pavilion, which were put to use at the ribbon cutting and dedication ceremony on September 13th.
“This building is a labor of love, dedicated in memory of past generations of GNH, including Stanley L. Ingalls, Randall S. Ingalls, Walter H. Ingalls, and Stanley R. Ingalls, all of whom chose service over self,” GNH President John Ingalls said. “It’s these men who gave lots of service to the community but never took credit for it.”
The Ingalls’ family roots in the lumber industry run deep. In fact, prior to Stanley L. Ingalls opening the original store in Norton Hill in 1937, he and his father Truman Ingalls would travel to woodlots and set up temporary sawmills in the area. In 2014, a beam bearing Truman’s name was discovered in a barn at Balsam Shade in Greenville.
GNH Lumber’s humble beginnings originated in Stanley L. Ingalls’ kitchen. His home would later become the area’s only Home Planning Center in 1995. GNH opened its second location in Windham in 1965. In 2004, they moved the Norton Hill store to its current location in Tops Plaza and established the area’s only state-of-the-art drive-through warehouse facility, which is receiving the finishing touches on a 4,900 square foot expansion. In 2013, GNH opened its Latham Showroom. GNH remains committed to the Greene County community, employing dozens of local residents and serving as the go-to resource for contractors and homeowners.
To find more stories on great Greene County businesses, follow our blog on BuyInGreene.com.